Dairy-Free & Whole30 Potato Leek Soup, Creamy + Spicy : Entree Author: Kristi Barnes Prep time: 25 mins Cook time: 25 mins Total time: 50 mins Serves: 4-5 This Dairy-Free & Whole30 Potato Leek Soup will knock your fuzzy winter socks off! Smooth, creamy & spicy (+ healthy), it is the perfect winter pick-you-up.
- 2 tbsp. light olive oil
- 3 leeks, stems and roots removed and sliced into 1/3-in. rings
- 3 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-in. cubes
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 6 c. lower sodium chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 c. canned, full fat coconut milk, + more to reach desired consistency
- Toppings such as bacon and chives.
- In a Dutch oven, warm olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion and leeks until softened and onion begins to turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper. (Use less salt if your chicken broth is not lower sodium.)
- Bring everything to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove Dutch oven from the stove, and blend everything with an immersion blender. (If you want to keep some of the potatoes in tact, you can put 1/3 of them aside and then add back after blending. I chose not to.)
- Place back on the stove, add the coconut milk and cook until heated through again. Add more coconut milk if necessary to reach your desired consistency.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with chopped bacon and chives.