- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. no sugar added tomato paste
- 32 oz. Kettle and Fire Chicken Bone Broth, separated
- 29 oz. no sugar added diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- optional garnishes: a dollop of ricotta cheese, additional grated parmesan and/or mozzarella, fresh oregano, parsley or basil
- Heat avocado oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Italian sausage and cook another 3-5 minutes, or until browned. (I use a meat chopper to keep it from clumping.)
- Add minced garlic and cook one additional minute until fragrant.
- Stir in tomato paste until heated through and thoroughly mixed.
- Use 1/2 cup of the chicken broth to deglaze the pan.
- Add remaining chicken broth, tomatoes, oregano, crushed red pepper and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Check the consistency of your soup. If it’s too runny for your taste, simmer a few more minutes uncovered. (Mine turned out perfectly.)
- Turn heat to low.
- Stir in the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses until melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if desired. ( I didn’t. This will depend on the sodium content of your chicken broth and how spicy you want your soup.)
- Serve with some additional garnishes (not included in Nutrition Facts) such as a dollop of ricotta cheese, additional grated parmesan and/or mozzarella, fresh oregano, parsley or basil.