This Low Carb, Keto Pesto Chicken Soup is creamy, cheesy and filled with flavor. The fresh basil and toasted pine nuts in the pesto are a delightfully surprising twist on your everyday creamy chicken soup. Only five net carbs per cup!
- 1 T. avocado oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 oz. Kettle and Fire Chicken Bone Broth (or homemade), separated
- 2 c. chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 c. homemade pesto
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 t. xanthan gum
- 2 T. water
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- optional garnishes: toasted pine nuts, an extra dollop of homemade pesto, fresh basil, a drizzle of heavy cream or EVOO
- Heat avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add garlic and stir one additional minute.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and deglaze the pan.
- Add remaining chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and pesto. Simmer 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- In a small bowl, blend the xanthan gum in the water with a milk frother.
- Slowly stir xanthan gum mixture into soup.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/4 c. heavy cream.
- Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve with optional garnishes such as toasted pine nuts, an extra dollop of homemade pesto, fresh basil or a drizzle of heavy cream or EVOO.