Paleo and Whole30 Slow Cooker Turkey Breast with Orange & Thyme Author: Kristi Barnes
- 2 large oranges, zested and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme plus 2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 5 whole star anise pods
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 2 tbsp. 100% orange juice
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 3 lb. turkey breast, thawed, rinsed and patted dry
(if the turkey has a netting, loosen it from the breast and shift it around a little to keep it from sticking later)
- Optional garnishes: additional thyme sprigs and orange slices
- Layer orange slices, onion slices and thyme in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with star anise pods.
- Make a paste with orange zest, garlic, thyme, salt, white pepper and 100% orange juice.
- Rub turkey with ghee.
- Massage the turkey breast with the paste, concentrating on the top and sides.
- Place the turkey breast in the slow cooker on top of the orange, onion and thyme layers.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours or until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F.
- Prior to serving, place the turkey breast approximately 12 inches under the broiler and allow to crisp for several minutes.