- 2 tbsp. extra light olive oil
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 c. lower sodium grass-fed beef broth, separated
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 4 Russet potatoes, very coarsely chopped
- 4 c. baby carrots
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle beef stew meat generously on each side with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Brown meat in a large skillet on each side about 4-5 minutes per side. Use tongs to turn the meat but not until you can do so without it sticking. Brown it in two batches if necessary to keep the meat from touching.
- Add skillet contents to the slow cooker.
- Set the skillet off the heat until you can slowly add 2 cups of the beef broth without splatters.
- Deglaze the skillet and add the entire contents to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Be careful not to add too much salt. The 1 tsp. is based on using a lower sodium beef broth. You can always add more at the end if necessary.
- Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours depending on your slow cooker.