- 1 or 2 habanero peppers, depending on your tolerance for spicy food
- 5 medium-sized tomatoes (I used Roma tomatoes.)
- 1/2 medium-sized red onion, roughly chopped
- handful of cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Bring two quarts of water to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes, and boil 3-5 minutes, or until the skins begin to loosen.
- Remove the tomatoes from the water, slice off the tops, and slide off the skins with your fingers, discarding them.
- Place the peppers under the broiler for 2-3 until they start to shrivel and blacken.
- Using silicone-tipped tongs, flip the peppers and broil another 2-3 minutes.
- Puree the tomatoes in a high-quality blender or food processor until smooth. My NutriBullet Blender had these tomatoes perfectly pureed in under ten seconds.
- Add the pepper(s), onion, cilantro and salt, and blend until smooth again.
- Gradually add more salt in 1/4 teaspoon increments until it suits your taste.