This Paleo & Whole30 Chicken Cacciatore recipe is a quick, simple, one-pot wonder but tastes divine with chicken that literally falls off the bone and juicy tomatoes, mushrooms and capers melded together in savory perfection. Keto and Low Carb Friendly Chicken Cacciatore
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil, separated
- 1 lb. chicken drumsticks (bone-in, skin-on)
- 1/2 lb. chicken thighs (I used boneless.)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. capers, drained
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (organic, no sugar added)
- 1 c. homemade or organic free-range chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of the chicken with the sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, and place it in the pan. I used my trusty Lodge 7.5 qt. Dutch oven.
- Sear the chicken until browned, about 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the last tablespoon of coconut oil, onion, and pepper, and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until the onion starts to become translucent. This is a good time to scrape the crispy chicken bits from the bottom of the pan and stir into the mixture so you get all of that flavor in your final dish.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the capers and diced tomatoes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan along with the chicken broth.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165°F.
- If you’re following the Whole30 plan, serve this Chicken Cacciatore over some Garlic Smashed Potatoes with ghee, salt, and pepper. Yum!