This Whole30 Shepherd’s Pie is packed full of savory flavors like thyme and rosemary. Lamb meat is topped with fluffy, buttery mashed potatoes toasted to perfection under the broiler. Dairy free and gluten free. Use ground beef for a Whole30 Cottage Pie instead.
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 2 c. beef broth
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Add the chopped potatoes to a stock pot full of salted water and bring to a boil. The water should be about two inches over the top of the potatoes. Boil 20-30 minutes until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- In a cast iron skillet, warm the ghee.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots to the skillet, and cook about 5-7 minutes or until softened.
- Add the ground lamb and cook until browned, another 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, coconut aminos, garlic powder, thyme and rosemary for about 2 minutes.
- Add the beef broth. Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer.
- Let everything cook down for about 25 minutes. Reduce the volume by about half.
- While the meat mixture is cooking down, drain the potatoes and add to a mixing bowl.
- Mash the potatoes, and add the egg yolks and ghee.
- Add the coconut milk 1/4 cup at a time until you reach the right consistency (thick but spreadable).
- Mix in garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- With a spatula, spread the mashed potatoes evenly across the skillet fully covering the meat mixture.
- With a fork, fluff the top of the potatoes to make peaks.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the potato peaks turn golden brown.