Cozy up to this Whole30 Zuppa Toscana tonight! Packed with potatoes, sausage and fresh crunchy kale swimming in a lightly spiced broth, you’ll think you’re at Olive Garden (minus the guilt)! You’ll fall in love with this healthy, dairy-free, gluten-free Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana copycat recipe once you give it a try.
- 2 tbsp. beef tallow, or cooking fat of your choice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage (see below for info on Whole30-compliant Italian sausage)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper, or more to taste
- 8 c. chicken broth
- 7 medium red potatoes (about 2.5–3 lbs.), coarsely chopped (peeled or not)
- 5 oz. fresh kale, chopped (about 6–8 cups depending on how firmly packed)
- 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large stock pot or Dutch Oven, melt the beef tallow or cooking fat of your choice over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add the Italian sausage and cook for 5-7 minutes until browned.
- Add the Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper.
- Saute 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic.
- Stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes.
- Bring your soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the kale and coconut milk and simmer an additional 5 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork and kale is just barely tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
1/26/20 edits: Replaced photos. Added a video. (Subscribe to my YouTube channel!) Updated cook time from 30m to 40m. (After cooking this on an electric cooktop, I believe 40m is more accurate. My gas stovetop tends to come to a boil much quicker.) Switched the order of sautéing the onions and browning the sausage. (Cooking the onions first saves time as they can continue to soften while the meat browns. Also, we don’t overcook the meat, and all those delicious flavors have more time to merge.) Changed the chicken broth from 6c. to 8c. for a “soupier” soup. Adjusted the serving size accordingly. (Number of servings remain the same). 2017 edit: My recipe originally called for only 8 oz. of coconut milk. I changed it to the full 13.5 oz. can because it is creamier this way! It does give it the very slightest hint of coconut. If you want to avoid the hint of coconut, reducee it to 8 oz.
- Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 1076.1mg
- Fat: 16.2g
- Saturated Fat: 10.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 38.9g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 14.4mg
Keywords: whole30, zuppa toscana, paleo, clean eating, dairy free, kale, olive garden, copycat recipe, coconut milk