These crispy, buttery Dairy-Free and Whole30 Zuppa Toscana Potato Skins are packed full of Italian sausage and kale and bursting with flavors of garlic, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper.
Do you love Zuppa Toscana as much as I do? My Dairy-Free and Whole30 Zuppa Toscana and Lowcarb, Keto Zuppa Toscana (with Cauliflower) are both a couple of the most popular recipes of the site, so I i had to guess, I’d say you do! 🙂
I’ve made a few different combinations of potato skins. Take these Whole30 Sloppy Joe Potato Skins, Whole30 Beefy Taco Potato Skins, Whole30 White Chicken Chili Potato Skins and Whole30 BLT Potato Skins for example.
So basically I’m Zuppa Toscana-obsessed and hooked on potato skins, and these Dairy-Free and Whole30 Zuppa Toscana Potato Skins are my happy place.
These Dairy-Free and Whole30 Zuppa Toscana Potato Skins are packed full of Italian sausage, kale and yummy spices like garlic, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Biting into the crispy, buttery potato skin will make you daydream of Olive Garden soup, crunchy salad and buttery breadsticks.
Except these Dairy-Free and Whole30 Zuppa Toscana Potato Skins are nutrient-dense, healthy and Whole-30 approved! Packed with real, wholesome ingredients, you’ll know eactly what you’re fueling your body with.
These crispy, buttery Dairy-Free and Whole30 Zuppa Toscana Potato Skins are packed full of Italian sausage and kale, bursting with flavors of garlic, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper.
- 6 medium Russet potatoes, baked
- 2 tbsp. ghee, melted (If you can’t tolerate dairy, use 4 tbsp. avocado oil instead of half ghee/half avocado oil.)
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 c. finely chopped kale leaves
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 8 oz. full fat canned coconut milk
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- At this point, your potatoes should be baked and cooled enough to touch.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the insides, leaving some of the potato in the skins. I use an ice cream scoop.
- Mix the melted ghee and avocado oil in a small dish.
- Brush the ghee mixture on both sides of the potato skins.
- Sprinkle the insides lightly with salt.
- Place potato halves face-down on a sheet pan and bake for 5 to 8 minutes.
- In a skillet, brown the Italian sausage and cook on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper.
- Saute 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder.
- Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the kale and coconut milk and stir until kale is very wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Using tongs, turn the potatoes over and continue to bake until the edges of the potatoes start to turn golden brown.
- Remove the potatoes from oven.
- Fill each skin with the Zuppa Toscana mixture.
- Return to the oven to crisp the meat, about 5-7 minutes.