03 Feb Paleo & Whole30 Blood Orange Roasted Chicken
This one-dish Paleo and Whole30 Blood Orange Roasted Chicken will get you out of your winter slump and please the whole family. The best part? It only requires a few simple, wholesome ingredients like garlic, oranges and potatoes!
I don’t have many positive things to say about wintertime. It’s just so cold. And wet and snowy. And cold. Why would anyone want to go out and function or just be in that kind of weather? Not me!
Annually, around November 1, I hole up in my house in my thermals and fuzzy socks with a cuppa Joe slash hot tea slash apple cider and just hope and pray and live for the day the Easter flowers start blooming again.
It’s January, and here’s one nice thing I have to say about winter: There are piles of gorgeous citrus fruits available at the grocery store. I looooove citrus fruits. Lemons, limes, orange, grapefruits…I adore them all! Winter is the only time I see blood oranges at our local grocery store, and they make me happy. They’re so pretty and colorful and sweet, but they still have the citrusy zing I love.
This Paleo and Whole30 Blood Orange Roasted Chicken will get you out of your winter slump!
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Using tongs, add the chicken thighs to the oil skin side down and brown 5-7 minutes. Don’t try to move the chicken until it’s crispy and brown, or you’ll pull the skin off.
- Flip over the chicken thighs and add the potatoes and garlic.
- Toss the potatoes and garlic cloves in the olive oil and drizzle on a little more if necessary to coat everything.
- Add the orange juice, zest and slices. Be careful adding the juice. If your olive oil is still hot, it could splatter.
- Transfer to the oven and cook uncovered 30 minutes. If not using a Dutch oven, transfer everything to an oven-proof pan first.
- Garnish with parsley upon serving.
Don’t forget to Pin this Paleo and Whole30 Blood Orange Roasted Chicken for later!