This Paleo & Whole30 Cabbage Beef Soup, packed with loads of vitamin C, fiber and protein, will warm your bones while healing your body + soul this winter.
Can you believe Christmas has already come and gone? It feels like just a few days ago we were making Thanksgiving lunch, thinking we should get the Christmas decorations out of storage. And now here we are…stale Christmas cookies on the counter, empty boxes piled up waiting to be recycled and a Christmas tree kinda leaning to one side and looking exhausted after a month of being adored by four kids, two cats and a crazy dog. (I feel that way all year long.)
I’m not a fan of cold weather. January 1st is when I burrow in the house in my fuzzy housecoat and super-thick socks, only going outside when I absolutely must, and eating wonderfully warm soups, stews and chilis. Although it’s not quite the new year yet, I’m already making plans. I’ve had enough cakes and pies, cookies and holiday cocktails. I’m craving healthy food and ready to start 2017 off Whole30-style. This Paleo & Whole30 Cabbage Beef Soup is the perfect cold weather, healthy one-pot wonder. I made a big batch in my trusty Dutch Oven so I can have some for lunch this week and also freeze a couple servings for later.Print
This Paleo & Whole30 Cabbage Beef Soup, packed with loads of vitamin C, fiber and protein, will warm your bones while healing your body + soul this winter. This is a big batch, so you’ll want to freeze part of it or cut the recipe in half. I like to make double batches of all my favorite Paleo and Whole30 foods for easy weekday lunches.
- 2 tbsp. extra light olive oil
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 c. shredded carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 14.5 oz. cans organic fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt, + more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, + more to taste
- 4 c. chopped cabbage
- 4 c. beef broth
- In a Dutch oven or large stock pot, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef and cook approximately 5-7 minutes, or until meat is mostly browned. Use a tool such as the Mix ‘N’ Chop to easily keep your meat finely ground.
- Add onions and carrots and cook until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, and cook 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes.
- Add the cabbage and beef broth.
- Bring everything to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add more salt and pepperto taste if necessary.
How is the weather in your little piece of the world? I always dread our East Tennessee winters, but without our couple months of bitter coldness, I wouldn’t appreciate the sweltering 90-degree summers so much.
Are you making plans to eat Paleo and/or Whole30 in the new year? I’d love to hear your story!
Don’t forget to Pin this Paleo & Whole30 Cabbage Beef Soup for later!