19 Jul Paleo + Whole30 Creamy Curry Summer Squash Soup
This Paleo and Whole30 Creamy Curry Summer Squash Soup is creamy, spicy and bursting with flavor yet still wholesome, healthy, dairy free and gluten free. Light and full of fresh-from-the-garden veggies, serve it alongside a small salad for a perfect summertime lunch.
Summer is finally here! It has been an unusually mild summer here in East Tennessee. Normally by mid-July I’m camping out in front of the AC to escape the sweltering heat. But this year has been pretty cool. This is the first week that temps are holding steadily in the 90s. I’m hoping it stays nice and hot so our pool will warm up a little.
If you’re like me, you’re up to your ears in summer squash. When I was a kid, my mom breaded it with cornmeal and fried it in canola oil. I mostly thought was slimy and gross. As an adult, I have always just chopped it coarsely, brushed it with olive oil, sprinkled it with salt and pepper and grilled it until deliciously charred. And that’s completely fine because it’s super-yummy that way.
But I’ve had so much grilled squash this year I was ready to change it up. I found this gorgeous Yellow Squash and Curry Stew recipe on myrecipes.com and made just a few adjustments to turn it into this Paleo and Whole30 Creamy Curry Summer Squash Soup. If you’re a soup fanatic like me who likes it all year long, check out my Paleo and Whole30 Five Pepper Soup, Whole30 Potato Leek Soup, and Paleo and Whole30 Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup. They are all light enough for summertime yet still filling and yummy.
I love anything curried. Add some roasted veggies, coconut milk and fresh cilantro, and I’m in hog heaven. I think you will be too. It’s creamy, spicy and full of flavor while still managing to be healthy, Paleo and Whole30-compliant. Yes, pleeeease. Serve it with a side salad or over some Plantain Rice, and you’ve got an amazing Meatless Monday dinner on your hands.
Paleo and Whole30 Creamy Curry Summer Squash Soup
- 2.5 lbs. yellow squash coarsely chopped
- 1 lg. yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 c. coconut milk canned
- 1/4 c. loosely packed cilantro leaves
- Spread veggies in a single layer onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, turning everything halfway through with tongs.
- Heat the puree along with the remaining broth over medium heat until heated through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk until heated through again, 2-3 minutes.
- Add additional sea salt to taste if necessary.
- Divide the remaining roasted veggies into 4 soup bowls.
- Pour the heated soup over the veggies and serve immediately with fresh cilantro leaves;
If y’all make this amazing Paleo and Whole30 Creamy Curry Summer Squash Soup, make sure to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram as @farmsteadchic and use #farmsteadchic.
Don’t forget to Pin this Paleo and Whole30 Creamy Curry Summer Squash Soup recipe for later!