24 Jun Paleo and Whole30 Five Pepper Soup
Pepper lovers rejoice! This Paleo and Whole30 Five Pepper Soup is so fresh, fun and colorful! Beefy, zesty and spicy with a hint of (natural) sweetness, it’s full of bell, poblano, Anaheim, jalapeño and habanero peppers!
Summertime makes me so happy! Although I love the beauty of fall, I spend the autumn season dreading winter, the winter season hiding from the cold and springtime longing for summer to get here sooner. When summer finally arrives, I finally feel like I’m in my element and can do all the things I love to do.
I love hiking days with Paleonola grain free granola, pool days with a Pomegranate Lime Sparkler and (maybe most of all) farmers market days. The piles of gorgeous, vibrant veggies fill me with inspiration and I come home loaded down with them, ready to cook up a storm for the rest of the day.
This Paleo and Whole30 Five Pepper Soup is a result of one of those farmers market days. The peppers were so pretty that I had to have all of them. I wanted to put my love of peppers into one epic recipe. And let me tell you, it’s pretty spectacular if I do say so myself.
Once you get all the veggies rinsed and chopped, this recipe is really pretty hands-off. Make sure to use a Mix ‘n’ Chop to keep your ground beef nice and…well, ground. One of my pet peeves is big clumps of ground beef in a meal. It takes me back to my childhood when my dad would make a huge pot of yummy chili but let the meat clump up as he was browning it. It always made me a little sad to bite into a giant chewy ball of meat when the chili itself was superb.
Each pepper adds a little something special to the flavor, and I love the colors too. If you don’t like any heat to your food, it’s fine to leave out the jalapeños and habaneros. But this soup is really not that spicy once everything is cooked well. I added some Whole30-compliant hot sauce to mine because, for some reason, mouth-numbingly spicy food appeals to me, and I always want everything just a little bit hotter.
Top your Paleo and Whole30 Five Pepper Soup with some freshly sliced jalapeños, a few cilantro leaves and Coconut Avocado Drizzle to really make it incredible.
I’ve gotten a lot of questions about what foods are Whole30-compliant and why some aren’t. I’m so happy to help, but I would definitely recommend reading the Whole30 books if you haven’t already. Knowledge really is power, especially when you’re just trying to make it through the work day and that 3pm chocolate bar craving hits. You’ll know why you’re feeling the way you are and what you can do to squash it.
If you’re like me, a busy working mom with too much to do to sit down and stop everything to read a book, you should definitely check out Amazon’s Audible program. That’s how I found time to read It Starts With Food, by having it read to me. I love, love Audible. I just recently purchased Food Freedom Forever with one of my monthly credits, and it’s another winner so far. I listen to it in the car to and from work and also while I’m cooking and doing chores.
A couple things to note:
(1) This recipe calls for one cup of my homemade sweet and spicy ketchup. The sweetness in the ketchup really makes this recipe, so if you use something different like Tessemae’s Whole30-compliant ketchup, you may need to adjust your recipe. Have some 100% apple juice or softened, blended dates on hand to sweeten it up a bit. Also, you may need to add additional vinegar and some cayenne because my homemade ketchup is spicer and tangier too.
(2) This recipes makes a lot of soup. About 12 servings when eaten alongside a small salad. You’ll need a good-sized Dutch oven to fit everything, and you’ll have leftovers for days. I was fine with the leftovers because it was so darned tasty. Make sure you’re prepared to freeze some for later or cut the recipe in half.
Paleo and Whole30 Five Pepper Soup
- 2 tbsp. extra light olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 green bell peppers membranes removed, seeded and chopped
- 3 sweet bell peppers membranes removed, seeded and chopped
- 1 poblano pepper membranes removed, seeded and chopped
- 1 Anaheim chile membranes removed, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeños membranes removed, seeded and chopped
- 2 habanero peppers membranes removed, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 4 c. organic beef broth
- 1 c. homemade Sweet and Spicy Ketchup
- 28 oz. crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. sea salt + more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add the ground beef and onions and cook 3-4 minutes until partially browned. Use a Mix 'n' Chop to keep the meat finely ground.
- Add chopped peppers and cook 8-10 minutes until they begin to soften and meat is completely browned.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute until fragrant.
- Simmer 25-30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Don’t forget to Pin this Paleo and Whole30 Five Pepper Soup for later!