This Paleo and Whole30 Grilled Ahi Tuna with Roasted Red Pepper Relish is super simple to make but bursting with flavor. With ingredients like jarred roasted red peppers, lemon juice, thyme and fresh basil, it’s the perfect healthy (20 minute) grilled summer dinner!
I asked my husband to pick up an organic rotisserie chicken on the way home tonight, and he showed up with a couple giant slabs of raw tuna instead. What am I supposed to do with this?? Confession: I’ve never cooked tuna before. I’m not really a fish person. I eat canned tuna because it’s easy and cheap and healthy. (Healthy, if you get the soy-free kind, like this Trader Joe’s Tuna or Thrive Market No Salt Added Tuna.) And I’ll eat seared tuna from the Japanese restaurant. But homemade grilled tuna? Nope. It never even crossed my mind. Challenge accepted.
I frantically started searching Pinterest for ideas I might be able to pull out of my pantry for a last-minute meal. Score! I found this Grilled Tuna with Red Pepper Relish recipe on Mezzetta.com. I pretty much followed the recipe to a “T” (except for one little secret ingredient that really makes the recipe pop both visually and tastefully) which is totally unlike me. I don’t think I’ve ever faithfully followed a recipe in my life, but this one was easy and flavorful, and I happened to have all the ingredients in my kitchen. #dinnerwin.
The tuna. It’s tender and juicy and salty and peppery. It radiates so much flavor without being fishy in the slightest. A drizzle of olive oil and a little S&P along with just a few minutes on the grill, and this tuna was lick-your-plate delicious.
The roasted red pepper relish. It’s kinda sweet but also citrusy and salty and a touch spicy all at the same time. The best part? It’s made with six simple ingredients (+S&P) and takes less than 10 minutes to throw together.
The warm, juicy tuna offsets the chilled savory relish perfectly, and it’s Paleo/Whole30/healthy/simple dinner heaven.
Oh, and the secret ingredient? It’s fresh basil right from the garden. The fragrant lemony aroma, bright, spicy flavor and gorgeous green color really take this Paleo and Whole30 Grilled Ahi Tuna with Roasted Red Pepper Relish to the next level.
- 1 c. jarred roasted red peppers, diced (or make your own)
- 1 tbsp. minced shallot
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (juice from approx. 1 large lemon)
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tbsp. light olive oil, plus additional for drizzling tuna
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. ahi tuna (approx. 2 tuna steaks)
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the roasted red peppers, shallot, lemon juice, thyme and two tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well and add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Place in fridge to chill.
- Pat tuna with a paper towel and drizzle with light olive oil. Rub it in well without damaging the tuna and then season each side generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place tuna on the grill and cook each side approximately 3-5 minutes* or until desired doneness is reached. (*The FDA recommends cooking fish to an internal temperature of 145°F for safety.)
- Remove tuna from the grill and serve with Roasted Red Pepper Relish.
- Chiffonade the basil and sprinkle over the top.
Also, I’ve gotten a lot of questions lately about what foods are Whole30-compliant and why some aren’t. I’m so happy to help, but I would definitely recommend reading the Whole30 books if you haven’t already. Knowledge really is power, especially when you’re just trying to make it through the work day and that 3pm chocolate bar craving hits. You’ll know why you’re feeling the way you are and what you can do to squash it.
If you’re like me, a busy working mom with too much to do to sit down and stop everything to read a book, you should definitely check out Amazon’s Audible program. That’s how I found time to read It Starts With Food, by having it read to me. I love, love Audible. I just recently purchased Food Freedom Forever with one of my monthly credits, and it’s another winner so far. I listen to it in the car to and from work and also while I’m cooking and doing chores.
Don’t forget to Pin this Paleo and Whole30 Grilled Ahi Tuna with Roasted Red Pepper Relish for later!
And if you make this amazing Paleo and Whole30 Grilled Ahi Tuna with Roasted Red Pepper Relish, be sure to tag me on Instagram as @farmsteadchic and use #farmsteadchic. I wanna see those pictures!