This Paleo and Whole30 Slow Cooker Turkey Breast with Orange & Thyme is incredibly moist and tender, super easy to make and packed with autumn flavor.
Is it seriously November already? Do you have your Thanksgiving menu planned out yet? If not, you’d better get on it because it’s sneaking up on us fast!
A couple years ago, I tried a turkey breast in the slow cooker instead of the traditional wake-up-at-4am-to-pop-a-turkey-in-the-oven-after-doing-all-the-nasty-things-to-its-insides ritual. And let me tell you, it was amazing. So moist and tender with a flavor that was on point.
From then on, I always went with a slow cooker turkey breast when we just had a small crowd. I’ve tried cajun-flavored turkeys and French onion-flavored turkeys among others, but this Whole30 Slow Cooker Turkey Breast with Orange & Thyme has to be one of my favorites. The orange brings a little sweetness while the star anise makes me feel all festive and fall-ish, and thyme is always a great addition to poultry.
I use this Gourmia 8.5-quart slow cooker.
- 2 large oranges, zested and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme plus 2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 5 whole star anise pods
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- 2 tbsp. 100% orange juice
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 3 lb. turkey breast, thawed, rinsed and patted dry
(if the turkey has a netting, loosen it from the breast and shift it around a little to keep it from sticking later)
- Optional garnishes: additional thyme sprigs and orange slices
- Layer orange slices, onion slices and thyme in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with star anise pods.
- Make a paste with orange zest, garlic, thyme, salt, white pepper and 100% orange juice.
- Rub turkey with ghee.
- Massage the turkey breast with the paste, concentrating on the top and sides.
- Place the turkey breast in the slow cooker on top of the orange, onion and thyme layers.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours or until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F.
- Prior to serving, place the turkey breast approximately 12 inches under the broiler and allow to crisp for several minutes.
And don’t forget to Pin this Paleo and Whole30 Slow Cooker Turkey Breast recipe for later!