21 Jun Taco Ranch Grilled Chicken Salad, Whole30 + Paleo
This Taco Ranch Grilled Chicken Salad combines two of summer’s greatest joys: (1) grilling and (2) loads of fresh veggies. Add some Mexican spices and Ranch seasoning and … what are you waiting for?? Whole30, Paleo, Dairy-free!
It’s finally here! Happy first day of summer! Summer is my favorite time of the year, but this year it’s bittersweet. I lost my grandpa to cancer last month. Within a week of us finding out he was sick, he was gone. And my heart aches every day to see him again. It happens at the strangest of times. Looking out the window, I’ll see our little garden and picture him on his tractor plowing the field for the new season.
He was such a special part of my life. My blog posts are usually lighthearted, but I feel like I need to give a little credit to the incredible part he played in my life. Maybe one day I’ll have the strength to really write about him, his life and the incredible part he played in mine. But for now, just putting this much in writing is both difficult and cathartic enough. I suppose everyone heals in his or her own way, and I’m still trying to figure out mine. Many prayers for those of you who have lost a loved one so close to you. I never thought it could hurt so much.
This loss has strengthened my resolved more than ever to eat healthily and make sure my family does as well. My grandpa lived 85 long years with no known health issues, and it’s at least in part because he and my grandma lived off their land, eating very little processed and unhealthy food.
When I think about summer, and I think about grilling and I envision an abundance of fresh veggies from the garden. This Paleo and Whole30 Taco Ranch Grilled Chicken Salad incorporates both of those.
Taco Ranch Grilled Chicken Salad, Whole30 + Paleo
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs.)
- 6 c. green or red leaf lettuce chopped (lightly packed)
- 4 c. kale chopped (lightly packed)
- 1 c. carrots grated or chopped
- 5 oz. cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 c. cilantro chopped (lightly packed)
- 3 fresh jalapeños sliced
- Slice each chicken breast width-wise to make thinner cuts.
- Mix remaining marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl with a liduntil mixed well.
- Add the chicken and cover with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Discard marinade and grill chicken breasts 3-5 minutes per side, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F at its thickest point. I use this digital meat thermometer.
- Use remaining veggies to build salads. Add grilled chicken.
- Drizzle with Tessemae's Ranch Dressing.
Don’t forget to Pin this Paleo and Whole30 Taco Ranch Grilled Chicken Salad for later!
Nutrition Facts assume approximately 3/4 cup of the marinade is discarded and do not include the ranch dressing added as topping, as that amount can vary widely.