This Paleo and Whole30 White Chicken Chili is a dairy-free, deliciously flavorful one-pot dinner, featuring organic free-range chicken, fire-roasted chiles, sweet yellow onion, and spicy jalapeños with fresh garlic and flavorful + nutritious cumin, coriander and oregano.
So I know it’s springtime (okay, darned near summertime) and I should be thinking about grilling on the patio and fresh-from-the-garden veggie salads. But today was rainy and cool, and I have been meaning to make this Paleo and Whole30 White Chicken Chili for some time now. This is no ordinary White Chicken Chili. Why not, you ask? I’ll explain.
- It’s easy. This Paleo and White Chicken Chili is made in a Dutch oven, so it comes together super-easily in the one pot with minimal cleanup. A deliciously healthy flavorful one-dish dinner? Yes, please! (My Lodge 7.5-Quart Caribbean Blue Dutch Oven is one of my most favorite kitchen pieces for cooking healthy, easy dinners. If you don’t have one and you’re serious about cooking loads of healthy food, you should definitely add it to your wish list.)
- It’s healthy. It’s Paleo and Whole30-compliant, dairy-free and full of veggies. Traditional white chicken chili often calls for beans, corn and cornstarch. This lightened up version has celery and jalapeños in place of the beans and corn and uses arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch to thicken it up.
- It’s delicious. Celery, sweet yellow onion and spicy jalapeños, along with fire-roasted green chilies, freshly pressed garlic, earthy cumin and citrusy coriander give this Paleo and Whole30 White Chicken Chili an inexplicably scrumptious flavor that you just can’t get enough of.
- It’s versatile. It’s so easy to make this Paleo and Whole30 White Chicken Chili your own! Whether you add more veggies as you cook (think carrots, bell peppers or potatoes) or get creative with the garnishes, this chili can easily be altered to fit your fancy.
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 3 jalapeños, seeded, membranes removed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. organic coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. ground cumin seed
- 1 tsp. ground coriander seed
- 2 lbs. organic free-range chicken breast, cooked and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 7 oz. fire-roasted green chiles
- 4 c. organic free-range chicken broth
- 1 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp. white pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- 2 tsp. arrowroot powder
- garnishes (finely chopped red onion, cilantro leaves, diced avocado, lime wedges, Whole30-compliant hot sauce)
- Pulse onion and celery in a high-powered food processor 7-8 times.
- Add jalapeño and pulse 4-5 more times until everything is finely diced but not blended.
- Melt the coconut oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion mixture 7-9 minutes, or until softened and onion turns translucent.
- Add garlic, oregano, cumin and coriander, mixing well with a wooden spoon, and cook 1 more minute until fragrant.
- Add chicken, fire-roasted green chiles and chicken broth, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Make a slurry by whisking the arrowroot powder and cold water until mixed well.
- Turn the chili on low and slowly stir in the slurry.
- Continue to cook on low until the chili reaches desired thickness.
- Season with sea salt and white pepper to taste.
- Garnish with finely chopped red onion, cilantro leaves, diced avocado, lime wedges, Whole30-compliant hot sauce and/or Paleo sour cream.
Serve this Paleo and Whole White Chicken Chili with all the things. I mean it. Fresh sliced jalapeños, finely diced red onion, lime wedges, cilantro leaves, avocado chunks. They’re all game. If you’re like me and need something cool and creamy on the side of all your Mexican-inspired dishes, check out this Paleo and Whole30 Sour Cream.
Be sure to whip up a double batch of chili for lunch this week or to use on my Whole30 White Chicken Chili Potato Skins. Yes, I went there. Really. And they were so good. If you think this Paleo and Whole30 White Chicken Chili sounds wonderful, just imagine it spooned into crispy, buttery, salty potato skins. Oh Em Geeeeeee. (Link to come soon!)
Don’t forget to Pin this Paleo and Whole30 White Chicken Chili recipe for your next rainy day!