11 Dec Paleo & Whole30 Turkey Taco Bowls with Mashed Plantains
I’m crazy about Mexican food. I could eat Taco Salad Bowls every night of the week if I did’t have to feed the kids and my husband. They don’t understand eating the same meal every night just because 1) it’s easy, 2) it’s cheap and 3) it’s GOOD. Fine! Here are some Turkey Taco Bowls with Mashed Plantains to change things up a bit. Guess what? They’re still easy, cheap and GOOD. Better than good, really, but I’ll leave that up to you to decide! Did I mention they’re Whole30-compliant, Paleo, Primal and gluten-, grain-, and dairy-free? Even better, right?
Paleo & Whole30 Turkey Taco Bowls with Mashed Plantains
- 2 ripe plantains sliced into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- salt and pepper to taste
Turkey Taco Bowls
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Additional toppings; see instructions.
- Boil the plantain chunks in water for 10-15 minutes until soft and easily pierced with a knife.
- Drain and mash with ghee, salt and pepper.
Turkey Taco Bowls
- Melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the ground turkey for 5 minutes. It will still be partially pink.
- Add the onion and cook 7-8 more minutes until it begins to turn translucent.
- Stir in water, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt.
- Simmer everything 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop into bowls over mashed plantains.
- Add toppings of your choice. I used Wholly Guacamole Verde and fresh cilantro.
Don’t forget to save this Turkey Taco Bowls with Mashed Plantains recipe for later!