11 Dec Paleo & Whole30 Turkey Taco Bowls with Mashed Plantains
Posted at 16:00h in Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Mexican, Paleo, Primal, Recipes, Whole30 2 Comments
I’m crazy about Mexican food. I could eat Taco Salad Bowls every night of the week if I did’t have to feed the kids and my husband. They don’t understand eating the same meal every night just because 1) it’s easy, 2) it’s cheap and 3) it’s GOOD. Fine! Here are some Turkey Taco Bowls with Mashed Plantains to change things up a bit. Guess what? They’re still easy, cheap and GOOD. Better than good, really, but I’ll leave that up to you to decide! Did I mention they’re Whole30-compliant, Paleo, Primal and gluten-, grain-, and dairy-free? Even better, right?Print
Paleo & Whole30 Turkey Taco Bowls with Mashed Plantains
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 bowls 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 ripe plantains, sliced into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- salt and pepper, to taste
Turkey Taco Bowls
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Additional toppings; see instructions.
- Boil the plantain chunks in water for 10-15 minutes until soft and easily pierced with a knife.
- Drain and mash with ghee, salt and pepper.
Turkey Taco Bowls
- Melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the ground turkey for 5 minutes. It will still be partially pink.
- Add the onion and cook 7-8 more minutes until it begins to turn translucent.
- Stir in water, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt.
- Simmer everything 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop into bowls over mashed plantains.
- Add toppings of your choice. I used Wholly Guacamole Verde and fresh cilantro.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice (1/2 lime per bowl), Wholly Guacamole Verde, Belizean Onion Sauce or Whole30-compliant salsa.
Don’t forget to save this Turkey Taco Bowls with Mashed Plantains recipe for later!
Victoria TeggPosted at 05:18h, 04 June
I’m always wondering what to do with Spag squash. Thanks for the idea – looks too good not to try 🙂
Eve HuntPosted at 04:37h, 12 July
“Great twist on the original recipe! Thai is one of my favorite, too.
I have all the ingredients in the house, this will be dinner tonight. Love it.”