With the sweet + spicy Sloppy Joes offsetting the salty + crispy but yet “buttery” potato skins, these Whole30 Potato Skins = an explosion of flavor! You won’t believe they are Whole30-compliant!
On Sunday, I told you about the yummy Paleo and Whole30 Sloppy Joes we had last week. I made a double batch of them, and we ate on them all week long. I was thrilled with the way they came out. They’re so much better than any Sloppy Joe I ever had as a kid, and they’re healthy to boot!
We had the Paleo and Whole30 Sloppy Joes a couple different ways. The first day, we just ate them scooped into a bowl. To change things up later in the week, I served them over sweet potatoes and then zoodles.
But today I’m going to tell you my most favorite way to have them. Spooned into potato skins.
That’s right! I hollowed out some baked potatoes I made a couple days earlier, brushed them with a mixture of ghee and light olive oil, sprinkled some sea salt on the insides and baked them again until warm.
Once the bottoms were crispy, I flipped them over and baked them a few more minutes until the top edges were browned.
Next, I spooned the Paleo and Whole30 Sloppy Joes mixture into the potato skins until slightly heaping and heated them for just a few more minutes to let the Sloppy Joe juice kind of seep into the potato skins.
The result was incredible! Sweet + spicy Sloppy Joe combined with the crispy, salty, buttery (well, ghee-y) potato skins = pure magic! Trust me when I say you’ve gotta try these! If these Whole30 Potato Skins sounds tasty, make sure to check out my Whole30 BLT Potato Skins too!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- At this point, your potatoes should be baked and cooled enough to touch.
- If you pre-made your Sloppy Joe mixture, heat it on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warm.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the insides, leaving some of the potato in the skins. I used an ice cream scoop.
- Mix the melted ghee and olive oil in a small dish.
- Brush the ghee mixture on both sides of the potato skins.
- Sprinkle the insides lightly with salt.
- Place potato halves face-down on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Using tongs, turn the potatoes over and continue to bake until the edges of the potatoes start to turn golden brown.
- Remove the potatoes from oven.
- Fill each skin with Sloppy Joe mixture until slightly heaping.
- Return to the oven long enough to let the flavors meld, about 5 minutes.
If you’re new to the Whole30, make sure to check out my Ten Must-Have Whole30 Convenience Products and 10 Best Kitchen Gadgets for Your Whole30 posts!
I hope you love these Whole30 Potato Skins as much as we do! Don’t forget to Pin this recipe for later!