27 Jul Southern Style Keto Green Beans – Green Beans with Bacon and Tomato
These keto green beans are slow cooked on the stovetop with sautéed onions and bathed in bacon fat and a tomato-chicken broth until tender, juicy, and full of melt-in-your-mouth flavor.
My mom and grandma used to make green beans slow cooked on the stovetop with onions in bacon fat and chicken broth, and they were always SOOO GOOD.
These keto green beans are the ones from my childhood with a can of tomato sauce added to brighten everything up a bit. The sauce ends up really thick at the end, so you have super-tender-cooked-into-submission green beans completely soaked in and coated with with salty, savory, barely-sweet goodness.
Southern Style Keto Green Beans - Green Beans with Bacon and Tomato
- 1/2 lb. bacon chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion sliced lengthwise
- 4 medium cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lb. green beans washed and trimmed
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- pinch cayenne pepper or to taste
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Cook bacon over medium-high heat until fat is rendered and remaining bits are mostly crispy, about 5-7 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside for later, leaving rendered fat in the pan.
- Add onion and sauté until it starts to turn translucent, about 4-6 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir continuously for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the white wine vinegar and deglaze.
- Add the bacon back to the pan along with chicken broth, green beans, tomato sauce, and cayenne pepper. Bring the broth to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 90 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper throughout the cooking process. Go easy on the salt until the end. The liquid will cook down considerably, and the flavors will become very concentrated.