These low carb, keto mozzarella sticks are a healthier, gluten free, grain free alternative to traditional fried cheese sticks. They are a kid-friendly low carb treat.
There are lots of keto mozzarella sticks on the internet, so why’d I make another one? Because (same as with my keto fried pickles) I don’t like any of the others!
These bites of fried cheesy goodness are breaded with a mixture of whey protein isolate and grated parmesan like a lot of the others, but I’ve added in plenty of spices for flavor.
The onion powder adds carbs, and you can certainly omit it, but I like the flavor. I’d rather have some really great-tasting fried cheese sticks some of the time rather than bland ones more often. You do you though.
Please note: The nutrition facts do not include the frying oil. To calculate the macros for the oil you use, please record how much you start with and subtract how much you end with (after it cools). This will give you the amount left in your food that you need to plug into My Fitness Pal or Carb Manager, and then you can divide by the number of servings. The amount of oil soaked up by your fried mozzarella may vary significantly from mine depending on what kind you use, the exact temperature of the oil and how long you cook yours.
The kids all really liked these and didn’t notice they were different from the regular gluten-coated ones. I serve them with Rao’s marinara.
Low Carb, Keto Mozzarella Sticks – Gluten Free Fried Cheese Sticks
- Deep fryer
- 16 whole mozzarella string cheese sticks (1 oz each)
- 1 large egg
- oil for frying (see notes regarding nutrition facts)
- 1/4 c. whey protein isolate
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Optional: low sugar marinara sauce for serving
- Cut all of the cheese sticks in half.
- Whisk the egg until mixed well.
- Heat cooking oil in a deep fryer to 375°F. Follow your deep fryer manual for the minumum amount of oil required and usage instructions.
- While the oil is warming up, whisk remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.
- You will need to fry in batches. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, dip 3-4 cheese stick halves in the egg and shake until dripping stops. Coat with the breading mixture and drop into the oil, careful not to splatter or touch the other cheese sticks.
- Fry for approximately 45 seconds, turning halfway through until each side is golden brown. Drain on a paper towel. Continue frying the cheese sticks in batches until finished.
- Serve with low sugar marinara sauce. (Sauce not included in nutrition facts. For clean keto, make your own from scratch.)
Pin this Low Carb, Keto Mozzarella Sticks recipe for later!
A Note on Nutrition Facts
Please note: The nutrition facts do not include the frying oil. To calculate the macros for the oil you use, please record how much you start with and subtract how much you end with (after it cools). This will give you the amount left in your food that you need to plug into My Fitness Pal or Carb Manager, and then you can divide by the number of servings. The amount of oil soaked up by your fried cheese sticks may vary significantly from mine depending on what kind you use, the exact temperature of the oil and how long you cook yours.
I am not a nutritional expert or medical professional. Nutritional information for my recipes are provided as a courtesy and are only an approximation. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of any nutritional information provided for any recipe on this site. Erythritol and monk fruit carbs are not included in the nutritional information as they have been shown to have a low impact on blood sugar. Those with Diabetes or other health-related issues may need to calculate net carbs differently. If you need help managing or calculating carbs, ask your doctor or dietician for guidance. Net carbs provided are the total carbs less fiber and sugar alcohols. For the most accurate nutritional information, please calculate with your own specific ingredients using a program like Carb Manager or My Fitness Pal.
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express permission from this site’s owner, Kristi Barnes, is strictly prohibited.
Excerpts and single photos may be used provided full credit is given to www.farmsteadchic.com with a link back to the original content.