08 Oct Whole30 & Paleo Taco Salad Bowls
Last Updated on August 26, 2022
One of the most difficult parts about the Whole30 plan for me is not getting my weekly Mexican fix from our local restaurant. No matter how well I plan and prepare for the week, there’s always that one night when I just don’t have time to cook dinner, forget to thaw out the meat or find myself without a key ingredient. My husband and I look at each other, ask “Mexican?” in unison, pile all of the kids in the van and make the five minute trip to the local Mexican restaurant. It’s always a fresh, flavorful and easy dinner. These Whole30 and Paleo Taco Salad Bowls have all the convenience and zing of our Mexican restaurant dinners without all of the hidden sugars and gut-disrupting grains.
We had one of those “Mexican?” nights tonight, but eating out wasn’t an option this time. I pulled some ground beef out of the fridge and threw it on the stove. As it was browning, I began digging through the fridge for toppings. The best part about these Whole30 Taco Salad Bowls is there are no rules. Completely customizable, they can be as simple or as fancy as you like, and you can use toppings you already have on hand. Cilantro and limes are always in stock in my kitchen. You just never know when you need a quick garnish or squeeze of lime juice. I found one lone tomato laying in the basket and an avocado that on its last leg, begging to be eaten before it turned into a pile a mush. Score!
So here’s the official Whole30 Taco Salad Bowl recipe, but feel free to change it up and make it your own. I used the pre-shredded angel hair cabbage as my base, but regular old green leaf lettuce works well too. Heck, try some baby spinach or cauliflower rice if you’re feeling adventurous!Print
- 2 tbsp. grass fed beef tallow
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups shredded cabbage or lettuce for the base
- Optional toppings: tomatoes, olives, avocado, limes for juicing, Belizean Onion Sauce or Whole-30-compliant salsa.
- Melt the grass fed beef tallow over medium-high heat.
- Brown the ground beef for 5 minutes. It will still be partly pink.
- Add the onion and cook 7-8 more minutes until it begins to turn translucent.
- Stir in water, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt.
- Simmer everything 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop into bowls over beds of shredded cabbage or lettuce.
- Add toppings of your choice such as tomatoes, olives and avocado.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice (1/2 lime per bowl), Belizean Onion Sauce or Whole30-compliant salsa.
Because I have a house full of picky eaters, I set out all the toppings on the table and let everyone make his or her own bowl. Make sure you top these taco salads with something tasty. Use a citrus juicer to drizzle your finished bowls with the juice of half a lime, or scoop on some Belizean Onion Sauce or Whole30-compliant salsa.
Don’t forget to pin this Whole30 Taco Salad Bowls recipe for when you need to whip up a healthy dinner in a snap! Let’s collaborate! Leave me a comment below to let me know how you dressed up your Whole30 Taco Salad Bowls.