Who out there likes fried chicken? If you’re following the Paleo diet or the Whole30 plan, you’re probably reeeaally craving some comfort food right now. I know I am. Catering to your food cravings is a no-no with the Whole30 plan, but this Whole30 Fried Chicken recipe is technically Whole-30- and Paleo-compliant as long as you aren’t eating it to satisfy an emotional need.
Me? I don’t have an emotional attachment to fried chicken. It’s okay. I never liked making it because it’s so messy, and it’s a lot of trouble to clean up. Growing up, I didn’t like eating it because my mom wasn’t very good at cooking it. (Sorry, Mom!) However, this morning I just really wanted some fried chicken. I can’t eat eggs any more, so I’m usually at a loss when it comes to breakfast, and this Whole30 Fried Chicken is easy to make + mess-free! Win!
My husband and I used to eat brunch every other Sunday at this wonderful little restaurant called Knox Mason. We don’t get the chance to go there very often anymore. One of the best things on their brunch menu is the fried chicken over biscuits and gravy. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can come up with a Whole30-compliant Biscuits and Gravy recipe, but this Whole30 Fried Chicken recipe is pretty darned tasty on its own. Serve it with some scrambled eggs and a side of fruit for a nice, healthy brunch or with some garlic smashed potatoes and steamed broccoli for dinner. (Nix the potatoes if you’re eating strictly Paleo.)
You should feel free to change up the seasonings in the recipe. If you don’t have something on hand, substitute a comparable ingredient. Nothing’s set in stone! Almond flour will work in place of the coconut flour. If you like a little more kick, double the cayenne pepper. Don’t like garlic? Take it out! But really, who doesn’t like garlic? 🙂
Here’s a little tip: Make sure your chicken is dry before you bread it. Rinse it and pat it dry with a paper towel before you dip it in the eggs. It helps the eggs and then the “breading” to stick to the chicken as you fry it.
Here’s the Whole30 Fried Chicken recipe:
- ¾ c. coconut flour
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 8 turns on a sea salt grinder
- 8 turns on a peppercorn grinder
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tbsp. ghee
- 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until mixed thoroughly.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Melt the ghee in a skillet.
- Dip the chicken parts in the eggs and then coat well with the dry mixture.
- Place the "breaded" chicken in the skillet and fry each side until browned. Use tongs to flip the chicken without disturbing the breading.
- Place the browned chicken in the oven for 10-15 minutes until crispy.
Don’t forget to pin Whole30 Fried Chicken recipe for later!