So I bought this whole chicken because it was on sale and I felt obligated to take it home and make it into something tasty. I must confess, I hate dealing with meat on bones, especially chicken. Has anyone else ever shed a tear when cooking a whole chicken? Maybe it’s me. I’m a crier, apparently. I never would have labeled myself as such, but I think it might be true. Reservations aside, I made this Whole30 Roasted Chicken in Coconut Milk in my new Caribbean Blue Lodge Dutch Oven, and it was delicious! Because it’s cooked in a delicious vat of coconut milk, it came out super juicy and tender, unlike my past roasted chicken endeavors.
I found this recipe, originally titled Chicken in Milk, on Jaime Oliver’s food blog. It didn’t take much tweaking to make it Paleo- and Whole30-compliant, and it was so easy to make! The combination of coconut milk, lemon zest, cinnamon and sage was unbelievably delicious. We were working outside today, so I just popped everything in the Dutch Oven and let it go, basting it with the juices whenever I passed through the kitchen.
Here’s the Whole30 Roasted Chicken in Coconut Milk recipe.Print
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the light olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch Oven.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken in the olive oil, using large tongs to turn it.
- Once the chicken is evenly browned, remove it and discard the olive oil.
- Place the chicken back in the Dutch Oven along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the Dutch Oven, lid on, into the preheated oven and cook for 1.5 hours. Make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Baste the chicken with the juices throughout the cooking process.
- Remove the lid after an hour to allow the chicken to become beautifully browned.
Did I mention how tender and juicy this chicken is? I served it over some Paleo & Whole30 Plantain Rice (recipe coming soon!), and the entire dish was pure perfection!
I was so excited when I got my Dutch Oven that I made two meals in it the very first day! A couple more easy and delicious recipes to try in it are my Paleo & Whole30 Chicken Cacciatore and Paleo & Whole30 Habanero Salsa Chicken.
Don’t forget to Pin this recipe for later!