02 Jul Spicy Watermelon Summer Salad – Keto Summer Salad
This spicy watermelon summer salad is the epitome of summer and a must-have side dish for your summer BBQs! Juicy watermelon and tangy farm-fresh tomatoes make a perfect base for this sweet and savory low carb summer treat. Thinly sliced red onion and minced fresh jalapeños add depth and a bit of spice, while cotija cheese and cilantro lend Mexican flair. Finish it off with a dressing made with avocado oil, lime juice, and salsa and you’re good to go!
We’re smack dab in the middle of summer on the farm, and fresh tomatoes are aplenty. This spicy watermelon salad is my new favorite appetizer/snack/hot summer night no-cook dinner. It uses farm-fresh tomatoes as the base. Red onions and fresh jalapeños balance out the sweetness, creating this really fun, fresh, crunchy, sweet, spicy pico-de-watermelon-bowl-of-happiness.
All of these yummy fruits and veggies are tossed in a sweet and spicy dressing made of avocado oil, lime juice, fresh garlic, and Sam’s Fresh Watermelon Jicama salsa. You can purchase Sam’s Fresh Salsa at ShopRite, Acme, and Safeway.
If they are not in your local store, ask them to carry Sam’s Fresh Salsa products. If you can’t find it, you can get away with a fresh, cantina-style salsa, but I am head over heels for this Watermelon Jicama salsa and love that Sam’s Fresh Salsas are made with just a few fresh ingredients. I was given several salsas to try but am not compensated for recommending them. If you haven’t heard of Sam’s Fresh Salsas, you can check them out on Facebook and Instagram.
Did I mention this spicy watermelon summer salad is just SO pretty?! Who doesn’t love gorgeous, colorful , tasty salads that are packed with nutrients? If you make it, be sure to post it on the ‘Gram and tag @farmsteadchic.
A couple things to note:
-This recipe makes ten servings. Ten side-salad-sized servings to keep it keto-friendly. Please adjust accordingly.
-This spicy watermelon summer salad doesn’t keep well. Everything is super-juicy, so it starts breaking down pretty quickly. It’s best served immediately. Leftovers are no bueno.
-Jalapeños vary widely in spiciness. For a spicier salad, leave the seeds or add a second jalapeño. Test yours first to see how spicy it is before diving in. Always wear gloves when handling fresh peppers!
For more fresh summer recipes, check out my
Spicy Watermelon Summer Salad
For the Dressing
- 6 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 c Sam's Fresh Watermelon Jicama Salsa
- 3 cloves garlic minced
For the Salad
- 3 c watermelon seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 lg tomatoes (about 2 1/4 lb) seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 sm red onion very thinly sliced
- 3 lg jalapeños seeded and minced
- 6 oz cotija cheese block crumbled
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c cilantro roughly chopped
For the Dressing
- Whisk avocado oil, lime juice, salsa, and garlic. Set aside.
For the Salad
- Combine watermelon, tomatoes, onion, jalapeños, and cheese. Gently toss with dressing. Add sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately.
- This recipe makes ten servings. Ten side-salad-sized servings to keep it keto-friendly. Please adjust accordingly.
- This spicy watermelon summer salad doesn't keep well. Everything is super-juicy, so it starts breaking down pretty quickly. It's best served immediately. Leftovers are no bueno.
- Jalapeños vary widely in spiciness. For a spicier salad, leave the seeds or add a second jalapeño. Test yours first to see how spicy it is before diving in. Always wear gloves when handling fresh peppers!