15 Feb Chorizo and Potato “Empanadas” Wontons
Last Updated on February 15, 2021
These Chorizo and Potato “Empanadas” Wontons are a super simple way to enjoy flavorful Cuban empanadas without rolling out dough. – The perfect game day treat for those who are just a little bit extra.
I eat low carb *most* of the time. There are a few times when carbs are back on the table.
1 – Major holidays. I make a lot of keto holiday dishes, but if there is something I want, I’m having some. #sorrynotsorry.
2 – Birthdays (mostly my kids’). I haven’t perfected a low carb cake yet, and all the popular ones on the internet I’ve found have fake pics or crappy recipes, so yeah, we still have sugary cake four times a year.
3 – Game day! I couldn’t tell you who played in the Super Bowl this year or who had the best commercial, but the big game is cause for lots of fun foods! We chowed down on these chorizo and potato “empanadas” wontons because I was craving some Cuban flavors without all the mess of rolling out dough. We also had fried plantains with cinnamon. YUM.
I received this pack of Twin Dragon Wonton Wrappers for free in exchange for creating a recipe and entering a bloggers recipe challenge with a monetary reward.
You can purchase Twin Dragon Wrappers at Walmart, Albertsons, Shaw’s, Von’s, Stater Bros, Fred Meyer, QFC, Safeway, Associated Stores, Giant Stores, Shop N Shop, Winco, and Price Chopper! If they are not in your local store, ask them to carry Twin Dragon Wrapper products.
For more info, check out:’
- JSL Foods Website: http://www.jslfoods.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JSLFoods/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/JSL_Foods
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jslfoods/
Chorizo and Potato “Empanadas” Wontons
- 2 tbsp. EVOO
- 1 lb. chorizo, casings removed
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 14.5 oz. petit diced tomatoes
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 lb. Russet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 2 bay leaves
- small handful fresh Italian parsley finely chopped
- 1 pack Twin Dragon Wonton Wrappers
- small bowl water
- 4 c. oil for frying (or minimum required by your deep fryer)
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add chorizo, breaking apart while browning. Cook until fat is rendered and meat is barely browned.
- Add onion and green bell pepper and saute until softened. Add garlic, salt and pepper and stir 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Deglaze with the wine. Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, potatoes and bay leaves. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer until potatoes are softened and liquid has evaporated. This may take 15-30 minutes depending on the surface area of your frying pan.
- Mash potatoes with a fork, mix filling again, and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, heat oil to 350°F in a deep fryer. Scoop 2 tsp. filling into each wonton wrapper, wet the perimeter with water using your finger, and fold sides together tightly in a diagonal. Working in batches to keep the "empanadas" from touching, fry about 1 min. each until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel. Enjoy!
A Note on Nutrition Facts
I am not a nutritional expert or medical professional. Nutritional information for my recipes is provided as a courtesy and is only an approximation. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of any nutritional information provided for any recipe on this site.
Erythritol and monk fruit carbs are not included in the nutritional information as they have been shown to have a low impact on blood sugar. Those with diabetes or other health-related issues may need to calculate net carbs differently. If you need help managing or calculating carbs, ask your doctor or dietician for guidance. Any mention of net carbs is the total number of carbs less fiber and the aforementioned sugar alcohols.
For the most accurate nutritional information, please calculate with your own specific ingredients using a program like Carb Manager or My Fitness Pal.
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express permission from this site’s owner, Kristi Barnes, is strictly prohibited.
Excerpts and single photos may be used provided full credit is given to www.farmsteadchic.com with a link back to the original content.