24 Nov Whole30 Potato Skins, BLT Potato Skins
I’m always on the lookout for easy, simple, cheap Whole30 recipes. I looooove food and I love to cook. I would spend all day making fancy, impressive recipes if I had the time. But I don’t. I have four kids and a very stressful full-time job. And kids don’t appreciate fancy, impressive dinners. Neither do husbands, really. These Whole30 Potato Skins are the ticket. I’m not even joking. So buttery, but without the butter (Remember, ghee = glee.). Are they BLTs, or are they tater skins? They’re both, and they’re magic.
I’m an admirer of potato skins, but I’ve never actually made them. I got the original potato skins recipe from The Pioneer Woman, and I took it from there to make it Whole30-compliant and dairy-free. Bliss… With every bite, I had to keep reminding myself these are Whole30-compliant. It only takes a couple to fill you up too!
I baked my potatoes in advance. We had steaks and baked potatoes for dinner earlier in the week, and we threw a bunch of extra potatoes on the grill to save time.Print
- 6 medium baked Russet potatoes (I baked mine a day or two earlier when we had steak and baked potatoes for dinner.)
- 2 tbsp. ghee, melted
- 2 tbsp. extra light olive oil
- salt to taste
- large handful of spinach leaves (I used 3-4 leaves per potato skin.)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until almost crispy
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- At this point, your potatoes should be baked and cooled enough to touch.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the insides, leaving some of the potato in the skins.
- Mix the melted ghee and olive oil in a small dish.
- Brush the ghee mixture on both sides of the potato skins.
- Sprinkle the insides lightly with salt.
- Place potato halves face-down and bake for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Using tongs, turn the potatoes over and continue to bake until the edges of the potatoes start to turn golden brown.
- Remove the potatoes from oven.
- Fill each skin with 3-4 spinach leaves and equal amounts of tomato and bacon.
- Return to the oven long enough warm up the lettuce and tomato and let the bacon continue to crisp, about 5 minutes.
I served these Whole30 Potato Skins with spicy German mustard, and the combination was divine. Some Whole30 compliant Ranch dressing would be amazing too.