08 Feb Dairy-Free & Whole30 Potato Leek Soup, Creamy + Spicy
This Dairy-Free & Whole30 Potato Leek Soup will knock your fuzzy winter socks off! Smooth, creamy & spicy (+ healthy), it is the perfect winter pick-you-up.
This winter has been uncharacteristically warm as far as East Tennessee winters go. We have only had one snow, and it didn’t last but a couple days. The temperatures have hovered around 40-50°F instead of the teens we’re used to in January and February. To me, that’s still about 25 degrees too cold though.
I’m looking forward to springtime, things turning green as they come back to life and birds chirping again. We still have a good month or so until we’re out of the (winter) woods, though, and in the meantime, I’ll be indoors in my sweatpants and fuzzy socks eating this soup.
This Dairy-Free and Whole30 Potato Leek Soup will knock your fuzzy winter socks off. Really. If you don’t like spicy foods at all, cut the white pepper in half and add it back at the end after you’ve done a taste test to make sure.
If you do like a little spice in your life, this Dairy-Free and Whole30 Potato Leek Soup is the perfect winter pick-you-up. It looks so smooth and creamy and innocent, but then you taste it and there’s an explosion in your mouth fit for a July 4th party. (So maybe I exaggerate a little, but it’s truly flavorful with a delightfully spicy kick.) The leeks add extra depth of flavor, and white pepper is deceptively complex too.
If you don’t have any white pepper on hand, I would recommend picking some up before making this recipe. It’s not just about keeping the color of the soup. White pepper is made from fully ripened peppercorns which are fermented and peeled before being dried. It has a floral, earthy flavor.
Dairy-Free & Whole30 Potato Leek Soup, Creamy + Spicy
- 2 tbsp. light olive oil
- 3 leeks stems and roots removed and sliced into 1/3-in. rings
- 3 lbs. Russet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1-in. cubes
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped
- 6 c. lower sodium chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 c. canned full fat coconut milk, + more to reach desired consistency
- Toppings such as bacon and chives.
- Cook onion and leeks until softened and onion begins to turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Bring everything to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Place back on the stove, add the coconut milk and cook until heated through again. Add more coconut milk if necessary to reach your desired consistency.
- Top with chopped bacon and chives.
Some other yummy winter soups, stew and chilis you’ll want to check out: Dairy-Free and Whole30 Zuppa Toscana, Paleo & Whole30 Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup, Paleo and Whole30 Cabbage Beef Soup, Easy 8-Ingredient Paleo and Whole30 Chili, Paleo and Whole30 Spiced Pumpkin Chili, Easy 6-Ingredient Paleo and Whole30 Chicken Stew.
Don’t forget to Pin this Dairy-Free and Whole30 Potato Leek Soup for later!