02 Sep Low Carb, Keto Pesto Chicken Soup
This Low Carb, Keto Pesto Chicken Soup is creamy, cheesy and filled with flavor. The fresh basil and toasted pine nuts in the pesto are a delightfully surprising twist on your everyday creamy chicken soup. Only five net carbs per cup!
I’ve been on a pesto kick lately. I put my big, beautiful basil plants to good use by making loads of homemade pesto. And let me tell you, it was delish!
My daughter and I brainstormed about all the yummy things we could make with homemade pesto, and this Low Carb, Keto Pesto Chicken Soup was one of our favorite meals!
It is so creamy and full of bright flavors. You can use store-bought pesto to save time or whip up a batch of my Easy Homemade Keto Pesto. Oh, and the toppings! The topping options are endless. Sometimes I like to feel just a little bit extra, so I topped mine with a drizzle of heavy cream, a swirl of EVOO, a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts and a handful fresh basil.
Make sure to also check out my Keto Cheesy Pesto Chicken Casserole! Similar flavors, extra cheesy!
Low Carb, Keto Pesto Chicken Soup
- 1 T. avocado oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 32 oz. Kettle and Fire Chicken Bone Broth or homemade, separated
- 2 c. chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1/2 c. homemade pesto
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 t. xanthan gum
- 2 T. water
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- optional garnishes: toasted pine nuts an extra dollop of homemade pesto, fresh basil, a drizzle of heavy cream or EVOO
- Heat avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add garlic and stir one additional minute.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and deglaze the pan.
- Add remaining chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and pesto. Simmer 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- In a small bowl, blend the xanthan gum in the water with a milk frother.
- Slowly stir xanthan gum mixture into soup.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/4 c. heavy cream.
- Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve with optional garnishes such as toasted pine nuts, an extra dollop of homemade pesto, fresh basil or a drizzle of heavy cream or EVOO.
Be sure to Pin this Low Carb, Keto Pesto Chicken Soup for later!
A Note on Nutrition Facts
I am not a nutritional expert. Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is only an approximation. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of any nutritional information provided for any recipe on this site. Erythitrol carbs are not included in the nutritional information as it has been shown to have a low impact on blood sugar. Those with Diabetes or other health-related issues may need to calculate net carbs differently. If you need help managing or calculating carbs, ask your doctor or dietician for guidance. Net carbs provided are the total carbs less fiber and sugar alcohols. For the most accurate nutritional information, please calculate with your own specific ingredients using a program like Carb Manager or My Fitness Pal.
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express permission from this site’s owner, Kristi Barnes, is strictly prohibited.
Excerpts and single photos may be used provided full credit is given to www.farmsteadchic.com with a link back to the original content.