The other day, I made some Five-Ingredient Roasted Habanero Salsa. It was amazing! Quick, easy, tasty, spicy and Whole30- and Paleo-compliant-what’s not to love? It was so good that I wanted to do something else with it…take it to the next level…enjoy it for an entire meal rather than just as a snack. I’ve seen several salsa chicken recipes floating around, so I thought, why not make some Whole30 Roasted Habanero Salsa Chicken? I’m so glad I did. It was one of the tastiest meals we’ve had during our family’s Thirty Days of Whole30 Recipes journey and sooooo easy to make!
If you don’t have time to make your own Roasted Habanero Salsa right now or you prefer something a little milder, you can certainly substitute some Whole30-compliant salsa. There are lots of them out there. Just remember to check your labels.
On to the Habanero Salsa Chicken recipe!Print
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil, separated
- 2 lb. chicken drumsticks (bone-in, skinless)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 c. Five-Ingredient Roasted Habanero Salsa
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- Heat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of the chicken with a healthy coat of salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the pan and sear until browned, about 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the last tablespoon of coconut oil and onion, and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, along with the diced tomatoes and salsa.
- Pour in the chicken broth, making sure you have enough to cover the chicken.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Squeeze half a lime over each serving before eating.
- If you’re following the Whole30 plan, serve this Roasted Habanero Chicken Salsa over some cauliflower rice seasoned with salt, pepper, lime juice and freshly chopped cilantro. Yum!
Did you make my Habanero Salsa Chicken? If so, leave me a comment let me know what you think! If not, what are you waiting for?? Remember to Pin it for later!