These copycat McDonald’s scrambled eggs are a quick, keto-friendly alternative to fast food breakfast. Use them to make healthy, low carb versions of your favorite fast food restaurant breakfasts at home.
It’s a little strange for me to be posting a McDonald’s copycat recipe. I don’t generally eat McDonald’s or give it to my kids. (I wouldn’t feed it to any living thing for that matter now that I know better.) When I was younger, though, I really loved their McGriddles.
Maybe it can be argued that McDonald’s eggs are gluten-free and (now) cooked in real butter, but gluten-free doesn’t necessarily equal healthy, and I don’t really trust anything from fast food restaurants.
McDonald’s website states, “Our folded eggs, like the ones on a Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit, are made with liquid eggs that are pre-cooked and folded before being flash frozen by our suppliers. Once in our kitchens, they’re prepared on the grill with real butter.” YUM! Side note – Did you know IHOP adds pancake batter to their omelettes?
I’ve received great feedback on my chaffle recipes, especially my reuben chaffle and Big Mac chaffle. I thought a McGriddle chaffle would be spectacular, and yes – it is! (And no waxy aftertaste/texture like the original.)
I wanted to get the egg just right, so here’s the recipe for those who may just want it alone. Full Sausage, Egg and Cheese McGriddle Chaffle recipe coming soon!
Low Carb, Keto Fried Pickles with Chili Ranch Dipping Sauce
- Deep fryer
- 36 dill pickle slices
- 1 large egg
- oil for frying (see notes regarding nutrition facts)
- 1/4 c. whey protein isolate
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Optional: ranch dressing and sweet chili sauce for serving
- Drain the dill pickle slices and dry very well with paper towels.
- Whisk the egg until mixed well.
- Heat cooking oil in a deep fryer to 375°F. Follow your deep fryer manual for the minumum amount of oil required and usage instructions.
- While the oil is warming up, whisk remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.
- You will need to fry in batches. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, dip 5-10 pickles in the egg and shake until dripping stops. Coat with the breading mixture and drop into the oil, careful not to splatter or touch the other pickles.
- Fry for approximately 45 seconds, turning halfway through until each side is golden brown. Drain on a paper towel. Continue frying the pickles in batches until finished.
- Service with 1/2 tsp. sweet chili sauce (or more to taste) per 2 Tbsp. ranch dressing. (Sauce not included in nutrition facts. For clean keto, make your own from scratch.)
Pin this McDonald’s Scrambled Eggs recipe for later!
A Note on Nutrition Facts
I am not a nutritional expert or medical professional. Nutritional information for my recipes are provided as a courtesy and are only an approximation. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of any nutritional information provided for any recipe on this site. Erythritol and monk fruit carbs are not included in the nutritional information as they have been shown to have a low impact on blood sugar. Those with Diabetes or other health-related issues may need to calculate net carbs differently. If you need help managing or calculating carbs, ask your doctor or dietician for guidance. Net carbs provided are the total carbs less fiber and sugar alcohols. For the most accurate nutritional information, please calculate with your own specific ingredients using a program like Carb Manager or My Fitness Pal.
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express permission from this site’s owner, Kristi Barnes, is strictly prohibited.
Excerpts and single photos may be used provided full credit is given to www.farmsteadchic.com with a link back to the original content.