These Chipotle Lime Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers are a Mexican fiesta in your mouth. The spicy ground chipotle, slightly sweet + tangy lime juice and smoky poblanos create a mouthwatering combo. Did I mention they are Paleo and Whole30-compliant?
I can’t walk through the produce department without stopping to check out all the bright, colorful peppers even on the rare occasion they’re not on my shopping list. This time, I picked up five different kinds. Habaneros, Anaheim chilies, poblanos, jalapeños and a mix of bell peppers. Think I’m nuts? I made the most amazing sweet and spicy, Paleo- and Whole30-compliant Five Alarm Five Pepper Soup (recipe coming soon!).
These Chipotle Lime Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers taste like a Mexican fiesta in your mouth. The spicy ground chipotle, slightly sweet + tangy lime juice and smoky poblanos create a mouthwatering combo I could eat every single day. Did I mention they are Paleo and Whole30-compliant?
I whipped up a Coconut Avocado Drizzle to compliment these Chipotle Lime Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers, and the result was divine! The slight tropical notes of the cool, creamy sauce offset the south-of-the-border spiciness of the peppers perfectly! It also makes for a pretty presentation, and we all love gorgeous food, amiright?
You’ll want to roast the poblanos and remove the skins before stuffing them. To do this, you can place them under a broiler or over the flame on a gas stove, turning with tongs as they char. Once they are blackened evenly, place them in a bowl covered in saran wrap, a brown paper bag or a plastic zipper bag and leave for 15 minutes. After they cool, you can slide off the skins. **Make sure to wear gloves while handling the peppers!**
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil, plus more to grease pan
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. chipotle powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, or 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- cayenne pepper(optional, to taste)
- juice of 2 limes (I love this hand juicer for small jobs.)
- 4 poblano peppers, roasted and sliced down the middle with skins and seeds removed
- Coconut Avocado Drizzle (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- Roast and remove the pepper skins if you haven't already. For more info, please refer back to the post.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat until melted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ground chicken and onions. Brown 7-8 minutes. Use a Mix 'n' Chop or wooden spatula to keep the chicken nice and ground. Your mixture should still be a little juicy from the onions at this point. If not, add back a tablespoon of water.
- Add the lime juice, chipotle powder, cumin, garlic (or garlic powder) and salt, and cook 1-2 minutes until mixed well and juice is mostly cooked down.
- Test the meat mixture, and add more salt to taste if necessary. Add cayenne pepper ⅛ tsp. at a time if you want a little more heat.
- Grease baking dish with additional coconut oil.
- Using a spoon, fill the peppers to capacity with the meat filling.
- Bake at 425°F for 15-20 minutes or until filling is browned.
- Serve with Coconut Avocado Drizzle and freshly torn cilantro leaves.
Make sure to slather on a little Coconut Avocado Drizzle. Or a lot…
Nutrition Facts do not include Coconut Avocado Drizzle.
Don’t forget to Pin this Chipotle Lime Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers recipe for later!